How to Clean Your New Luxury Vinyl Tile & Plank Flooring
Proper cleaning and maintenance of your Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank flooring will keep it looking like new for years to come. Here are both floor-installation-specific and general tips for caring for your new floor:
- Lightly apply a layer of properly diluted Congoleum Bright & Easy Floor Cleaner.
- Use a white 3M pad to gently loosen the residue.
- Prepare two buckets of clear, cool water.
- Dampen a clean sponge in the water from the first bucket, then wipe up the residue. Rinse and repeat using the same bucket.
- Use the clean water from the second bucket to do a final rinse and cleanup.
- Buff dry with a soft, microfiber cloth.
General Cleaning Tips for All Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank Flooring
Preserving your floor’s finish by preventing scratches and scuffs and avoiding using harsh cleaners are key ways to keeping your floor new looking. Here are some tips:
- Use a floor mat near all doors and entryways to help prevent dirt and grit from getting onto your floor. Opt for non-staining polypropylene rugs, colorfast woven rugs or vinyl-backed rugs. Avoid rubber-backed or latex-backed mats as they may discolor the floor.
- Clean any spills or stains from your floor immediately. Use a soft, microfiber cloth or a nylon pad to gently remove stuck-on spills or stains from your floor. Avoid abrasive cleaners or knives to try to clean stuck on messes since they can mar your floor’s protective finish.
- Daily or frequent sweeping/vacuuming of your floor to remove dirt and grit will help preserve your its protective finish. Don’t use the beater bar on you vacuum since it could damage your floor.
- Mop or deep clean your floor at least twice a month or more (depending on foot traffic/use). A microfiber mop will keep your floor’s finish safe from scratches. Don’t use mops with scrub-brush actions and don’t steam clean vinyl floors.
- Use felt pads on furniture to avoid scratches when moving items across the floor. Rollers on furniture can scratch your floor.
- If you have to move a large item such as a couch or refrigerator, place plywood over your floor first to protect it.
- Don’t use cleaners that contain ammonia or vinyl wax. Your flooring already has a protective coating layer, and cleaners with these materials could eat away at the coating.
- Mop your floor with clean water after cleaning it with Congoleum Bright & Easy Floor Cleaner.