How to Clean Your New Luxury Vinyl Tile & Plank Flooring
Proper cleaning and maintenance of your Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank flooring will keep it looking like new for years to come. Here are both floor-installation-specific and general tips for caring for your new floor:
Review specific floor guidelines for adhesive drying times before washing your floor for the first time. For DuraCeramic flooring, we recommend waiting at least 5 days after the installation before damp mopping. This will prevent excess moisture and cleaning agents from interfering with the adhesive bond and hardening of the grout. After five days, floors can be damp mopped immediately, using a vinyl-specific, pH-neutral cleaner like Congoleum Bright & Easy Floor Cleaner. Avoid cleaning agents that use harsh chemicals or have waxes or polishes in them.
After the grout joints have dried and hardened, you can remove the slight haze of grout residue that remains as follows:
- Lightly apply a layer of properly diluted Congoleum Bright & Easy Floor Cleaner.
- Use a white 3M pad to gently loosen the residue.
- Prepare two buckets of clear, cool water.
- Dampen a clean sponge in the water from the first bucket, then wipe up the residue. Rinse and repeat using the same bucket.
- Use the clean water from the second bucket to do a final rinse and cleanup.
- Buff dry with a soft, microfiber cloth.
General Cleaning Tips for All Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank Flooring
Preserving your floor’s finish by preventing scratches and scuffs and avoiding using harsh cleaners are key ways to keeping your floor new looking. Here are some tips:
- Use a floor mat near all doors and entryways to help prevent dirt and grit from getting onto your floor. Opt for non-staining polypropylene rugs, colorfast woven rugs or vinyl-backed rugs. Avoid rubber-backed or latex-backed mats as they may discolor the floor.
- Clean any spills or stains from your floor immediately. Use a soft, microfiber cloth or a nylon pad to gently remove stuck-on spills or stains from your floor. Avoid abrasive cleaners or knives to try to clean stuck on messes since they can mar your floor’s protective finish.
- Daily or frequent sweeping/vacuuming of your floor to remove dirt and grit will help preserve your its protective finish. Don’t use the beater bar on you vacuum since it could damage your floor.
- Mop or deep clean your floor at least twice a month or more (depending on foot traffic/use). A microfiber mop will keep your floor’s finish safe from scratches. Don’t use mops with scrub-brush actions and don’t steam clean vinyl floors.
- Use felt pads on furniture to avoid scratches when moving items across the floor. Rollers on furniture can scratch your floor.
- If you have to move a large item such as a couch or refrigerator, place plywood over your floor first to protect it.
- Don’t use cleaners that contain ammonia or vinyl wax. Your flooring already has a protective coating layer, and cleaners with these materials could eat away at the coating.
- Mop your floor with clean water after cleaning it with Congoleum Bright & Easy Floor Cleaner.