Luxury Vinyl Tile & Plank Flooring Installation
Whether you hire a Pro or DIY, these tips will ensure a smooth and easy floor installation.
Familiarize Yourself with the Installation Process Before You Buy
Whether you’re planning on installing your floor yourself or hiring a professional contractor, make sure you’ve considered the following when budgeting for your new floor:
- Removal and disposal of your old floor
- Subfloor repairs if irregularities are significant
- Cost of moving furniture
- Cost of materials and tools needed – if you’re hiring a pro, these items should be listed out in the proposal. If you’re doing it yourself, this could include safety equipment like protective glasses, installation tools like a proper saw and hammer for the project, a pull bar and tapping block, caulk for high-moisture installations and finishing elements such as coordinated trims and moldings.
Do-It-Yourself or Go Pro?
However, even the simplest installs can present unforeseen challenges – something professionals may be better able to anticipate due to their expertise and experience. Larger installs as well as glue-down installations often warrant the help of a pro, so we advise you to take these things into consideration when making your decision on who should do your floor installation. And remember, we’re always here to help you or your installer with any questions you may have before, during or after installation – just contact us at Customer Service 1-609-584-3805.
Prep Steps for Your New Floor
- Prepare the room by moving all furniture/appliances out of the space.
- Remove/dispose of old flooring if necessary. If there is any millwork, trim or wall baseboard that you’d like to re-use, remove these items carefully and store them safely out of the way.
- Make any repairs needed to the subfloor, ensuring that it is dry, clean and flat.
- While most Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank floor products don’t require acclimation (storing the floor boards for a short period of time in the same environment in which they’ll be installed). Be sure to review installation instructions since certain circumstances (flooring stored in extreme temperatures) may make a short acclimation period necessary.
If you, or your professional installer, have any questions before or during installation, contact our installation team, 1-609-584-3805.
After Your New Floor is Installed
- Be sure to remove all tools and materials from the area and thoroughly clean your floor with the recommended cleaner for your new Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank flooring.
- If you have a glue-down installation or grouted floors, don’t wet mop your floor for at least five days from when it was installed. See How to Clean Luxury Vinyl Tile/Plank Flooring.
- Check adhesive/grout manufacturers’ recommendations on dry/cure times. It may be advisable to wait 24 hours before replacing your furniture/appliances, especially if these items are heavy.
- Using furniture pads and rugs at room entryways to protect your new floor will help to keep it looking like new for years.