It is the policy of Congoleum to conduct its operations in a manner that is environmentally responsible and befitting of a good corporate neighbor and citizen. To further this policy Congoleum will:
- Comply with applicable environmental laws and regulations and expect suppliers to do the same.
- Adopt and present responsible and consistent positions to the government and the public concerning environmental matters.
- Reduce to the maximum practical extent, the environmental impact of our processes though energy management, material selection, pollution prevention, recycling, and through treatment and control technologies.
- Consider environmental impact in the design of new products.
- Effectively communicate to all stakeholders the Corporation’s commitment to environmental stewardship.
- Periodically review and demonstrate continuous improvement in the Corporation’s environmental performance, including areas not subject to regulations
- Act promptly and responsibly to correct incidents or conditions that endanger the environment. Report incidents to authorities as required, and inform affected parties as appropriate.
- Every employee and every contractor on Congoleum premises is expected to follow this policy and to report any environmental concern to Congoleum management.
All Congoleum products have been awarded the FloorScore IAQ Certification. What does this mean? When it comes to indoor air quality, a primary concern is the emission level of specific Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). FloorScore Certification means that a flooring product is independently certified by Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) to comply with the volatile organic compound emissions criteria of the California Sections 01350 Program.
Made in the USA
Most of Congoleum`s resilient sheet, tile, and plank products are made right here in the USA! Congoleum has a long history of supporting American jobs and American workers. Since 1886 Congoleum has manufactured all of our resilient sheet products in the Northeastern United States. Today, our sheet manufacturing plant is based in Trainer, Pennsylvania.
We were first in the industry to move from solvent to water based inks in printing sheet vinyl. This technology was patented and licensed. All of our products are FloorScore certified, meaning that they meet stringent California indoor air quality requirements. All of our adhesives are water based, low VOC products. They are now Green Label Plus certified which means that they are the lowest emitting adhesive products on the market today.
Our cartons and wrappers use 100% recycled fiber. We received an annual Environmental Award from Packers Pallets. By utilizing recycled and reclaimed pallet lumber, we have saved 1,103 hardwood trees and scrubbed 32 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere in 2011. Of all our competitors, we use the highest percentage of locally sourced limestone in our products. Limestone is one of the most abundant and environmentally benign minerals on the planet.
A commitment to being a good corporate citizen is not new to Congoleum. Over the past 125 years, we have quietly made numerous environmental moves, from big impacts such as implementing water-based ink technology, to smaller ones, such as using 100% recycled paper fiber in our cartons and wrappers. Our Environmental Policy is designed to guide us as we move forward, to continuously improve our environmental stewardship. We take pride and celebrate some of our past accomplishments and continue to focus strong efforts on those that are underway.
We increased our efforts to divert waste from landfills by more than 20% at our manufacturing facilities. This work diverted over a million pounds of waste back into our products or into other products such as concrete. We have goals to further reduce landfill use. Our LVT products contain pre-consumer waste. We have engineered ways to use scrap material from our VCT product in the production of the back ply of our LVT products. This is scrap that previously went to landfill. We also have initiatives underway to increase the recycle content of our LVT products by using waste from other tile plants.